Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Future's So...


Paul Valery:  "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up."

Tonight at writing class:  "To a certain degree we can alter our futures."  
So, is fate back in fashion?  Vogue didn't call that one.  And here I've been thinking that my future was my own...not set in stone, mostly.

I've been wrong before.  This won't be the first time.  Of course, I'm going to fight this notion tooth and nail.  Try to disprove Ken.  It will be easy, too because Ken doesn't even know that I'm out here trying to counter his comment.  For all I know, he doesn't even realize the implication of what he threw out there tonight.  This one-sided debate will be much like my other one-sided competitions (the 4th of July 5k run against the cousins, the facebook bookshelf race against my brother-in-law (he's winning by a long shot, so I've sort of lost steam on that one), the sibling birthday call-off (first one to call on the day, wins)).  Don't worry, Ken.  I'll quickly lose interest in this new competition too.  

In fact, I'm almost over it now.  My food is getting cold.  It's been a long day.  At this point, not having to determine and shape my own future would actually be a bit of a relief.  I'm glad it's back in style.  Maybe it will be one of those things that doesn't come and go in a single season and I'll be able to try it on and get comfortable wearing it over the next few years.  Maybe it will even start to look as natural as those oversize shoulder pads looked in the 80's.  Maybe.

No comments: