Saturday, March 28, 2009

Eyes Wide Shut

It took ten years and an accidental dose of the wrong sort of eye drop, but I think I finally get it, Stanley Kubrick!

I'm on day three +3 hours of extreme eye dilation.  The iris is wide open, but my visual accuity is WAY off.  

This sort of condition does little to assuage my paranoia.  The eye doctor and my brother doctor both assure me this will not cause permanent damage.  Two days ago, I believed them.  Now, I'm not so confident in their knowledge.  That's why I've been googling it again.  

Google agrees with them, so I should stop worrying.  Worry won't restore my vision.  

The eye doctor says I'm lucky to be so naturally myopic.  If I wasn't, he tells me, I could be completely incapacitated by my careless use of unfamiliar eye drops.  That's reassurring.  

He also tells me this is good practice for what's to come in 5 years or so, when my eye muscles get too old to accommodate on their own.  I don't appreciate knowing in advance how it feels to turn 40.  I wonder, will it happen suddenly, like it did with the Atropine Sulphate Solution?  Will I wake up one morning five years from now with my eyes wide shut, too dilated to read the fine print?

3 comments:

Creative Nonfiction II said...

I like the tone you use here..I need to do more spontaneous writing and publish it somewhere...a blog? I could become a techno-nerd yet...

White's said...

Well I hope it doesn't last much longer. Does is cause you to loose your balance? Having my eye dialated on purpose is pure torchure. I avoid it at all costs. Tiffany

UnknownSideEffect said...

Thanks CNF II! Of course, I read into this that you like this tone and not other tones. See, I'm a pessimist through and through.

White's, yes, thank goodness my eyes have finally gone back to normal! The worst of it was having to explain the condition of my eyes to parents of the children I work with. Very embarrassing. So stupid of me.