Friday, April 10, 2009

Comment to the Comment

I was going to post this as a comment to the comment to "Life's Not Fair", but I realized my comment was turning in to more of a rant, so I'm posting it here:

People have ALWAYS wanted fairness. It's true, things have never been fair; but that doesn't stop us from longing. Mostly I was lamenting here that I'm human and have a need to do human things such as sleep and eat. But I have an equally human need to do the things that feed my soul. Sometimes I have to choose between the two.  Those are the choices that don't SEEM fair. I know too that "seem" is mostly a useless word--it's one of those intransitive verbs that doesn't really show the reader anything concrete. Perhaps I should have used a more definitive word? That's the difficulty in talking about fairness; since it doesn't exist, I can't exactly talk about it in terms of action or even a state of being. I can only talk about it in terms of what it is not and in terms of what it gives the impression of being.


2 comments:

The Mop said...

Damn... What a prick I can be.

It would be a shame if people quit Questing for Fairness, or for a Utopian world. That would be the real Shame.

It's what makes us .... evolved.

Keep your Mojo going... er that soda can filled...

UnknownSideEffect said...

Your adversarial quality is what makes your online character so entertaining. Don't lose that!

As for soda, well...I'm a bigger fan of other beverages. But I'll keep THOSE flowing.