Wednesday, September 24, 2008

You Don't Know Jack, Dorothy!

Way back, when I was a young, ambitious, high school debate coach (as opposed to now--where I'm old and contentious), my star debate students introduced me to, "YOU DON'T KNOW JACK!"  Actually, I really DIDN'T know jack, which was made all the more evident because, try as I might, I couldn't get them to leave my classroom after school so I could be home at a decent hour to walk my dogs and maybe cook dinner and do other things not related to high school. Instead, I would grade papers and organize the room, put the desks back in line with the tape marks strategically placed on the floor (see why I couldn't stay in the public education system?), and listen to these four tragically intelligent teens roar and banter over the computer game that loves to talk smack when the players aren't speedy or witty enough for the game...

Fast forward 9 years to now:  

"You Don't Know Jaques":  The new shade of taupe polish in O.P.I's Paris collection.  
When I saw this in the nail salon in Portland last Friday, I had to have it--mostly because the grey so matches the sky in that city (it's a much cleaner grey than the smog in my own town, but it's grey nonetheless...let's not kid ourselves about that.)  Anyway, I opted for this shade because it's a really pretty glossy grey, and I thought the color would serve as a befitting reminder of my food trip to P Town (more on that in a later post).

As is turns out, it's the Polish's title that has really stuck with me--because of course the finish is already chipping, ay yai, yai!  Today for instance, I completely blanked out in COSTCO and couldn't provide the pin numbers for my bank cards; the worst of it was that the more I tried to conjure up the four magic digits, the deeper into the abyss of my memory the numbers would slide.  Worse still, I was holding up the line!  I hate being held up in line by people who have no business leaving the safety of their homes.  

Sometimes, we just don't know how good we have it until we leave home and wish to return with a mere click of our heels.  Ruby slippers are pretty...

I wore these red moccasins on the plane ride home.  I don't have the power to click heels for a speedy return.  





No comments: